Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Life in Kamakwie

Before I dive into stories of my time upcountry, I want to try to paint a picture of what life was like. The hospital is situated in the suburbs of Kamakwie (estimated population somewhere around 20-30,000 I think). Technically the 'metropolis' is several villages in a row separated by marshy areas and bridges, and given the names Kamakwie 1, Kamakwie 2, and Kamakwie 3. Yep, very original, but it works =)

the OR wing, half of the maternity ward, and the laundry
The hospital is located on a big hill on the edge of Kamkwie 1. Someone brought a blue "H" sign from the States and put it on the road with an arrow pointing in the direction of the hospital which always made me smile. Turning down the driveway toward the hospital, you pass a bunch of staff housing for people who work at the hospital and are frequently on call. Past the hospital, further up the hill is more staff housing where the Asher's live, and where my house was. I shared a 2 bedroom house with Emily who is a nurse from the west coast, and an amazing friend and someone totally sold out for God. I thank God for making us roomies.

up the hill from the hospital to our house

our house

Walking to town was always a colorful adventure. There was always an abundance of dust or mud depending on when it had rained last, and often ruts in the road big enough to break an ankle in. We would walk past mud and brick homes teeming with pikin dem (children). They would usually see us coming from a long ways away and start their predictable yelling of 'ello, ello, ello ello' or 'white man! white man! white man!' In Krio there is no differentiation between 'he' and 'she', so we were always 'man' to the kids. Emily would usually reply 'Mi name noto white man. Yu name black man?' which would send them into fits of giggles.

In town there was one main street with dozens of little shops on both sides. You can find almost anything you need in Kamakwie if you just look hard enough. Our usual destination in town would be Kadiatu's restaurant for a cold soda or Pa Canu's store for laundry soap, milk powder, Spam in a can, crackers or a proposal. Pa asked me to be his 4th wife because he needs more children to work in the fields. I politely declined and protested that 'A no sabi fo plant pepe, cassava, or potato' (general translation: I'm useless in the fields), to which he replied that I could be taught.

I usually went to church at one of the Wesleyan churches in town, either the big 'mother church' downtown, or the smaller church near the hospital. In church the women sit on the left side, and the men on the right. They have offerings in sunday school as well as several during the service which include dancing up to the front of the church to make your contribution. Every week they award recognition 'banners' to either the men, women, or youth  for who gave the most money in offering, had the best attendance, or which group brought the most Bibles to church. Worship is livelier when the generator is working because then the keyboard and speakers work. Many employees of the hospital attend church there, and they truly love Jesus. I was encouraged by them and continue to pray that God would take them deeper in to a knowledge of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment