Wednesday, December 7, 2011

'parting is such sweet sorrow'...but reunions are fun!

On Dec 5 I left my beloved Sierra Leone for now. As usual, it was hard to say good-bye to so many people who have become very dear to me, but I know I am supposed to be at home for right now. I thank God every day for the friendships and memories He has given me in this place.


 ferry ride to the airport
 Freetown
 home sweet home

Landing in Brussels, I was greeted by a blast of arctic air that only penguins could be happy with. There was Christmas music playing, over-the-top decorations, shops where you could buy almost anything imagineable for an insane amount of money... and the culture shock started. I think the biggest shock was the bathrooms in Chicago airport. From village latrines (which I won't describe) to nice-smelling bathrooms with computerized toilet seat covers and flushers, the contrast was crazy. Still trying to decide where I feel more at home. 

Boarding my last flight to Little Rock brought a smile to my face as I heard the familiar, comforting good ole' southern drawl that I haven't heard for so long. No doubt now I was getting close to home.

I was surprised by some of my friends from church at the airport along with my parents! I can't describe how good it was to see them again.


I love this picture!!! so candid and so happy =)

The thoughts that keep going through my head at the end of this chapter and the start of a new one is... "grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home." Whatever the next weeks and months bring, I know God has a plan, and he will clearly direct me in the path I should go. My tenitive plan right now is to return to Africa sometime next year, maybe as early as January... but more details to come on that =)

Dec 7 - what I woke up to this morning... a snowy neighborhood!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy how four months can fly by so fast! I'm so glad your home and can't wait to see you tomorrow morning!! Hope you get accustomed to being home again soon ;)

    ReplyDelete