Friday, May 11, 2012

Feels like I'm home again...

So strange how two separate, and literally worlds-different places can both feel like home...

I'm perfectly happy at home in the states with my family, working at my amazing job, and being within driving distance of my friends and family... yet at the same time returning to this other world feels just as much like home. So much of this place is completely different from where I grew up, yet it has quickly become a part of my heart and soul.... 

I love being called 'Tante Yovo" (auntie white person), I love the feel and rhythm of the djembe during ward worship, I love wearing insanely colorful clothing, I love living near the ocean, and best of all I love having the little kiddos throw their arms around my neck and give me a hug....

I love being in this place and seeing hope begin to blossom in people's eyes, where for some of them, they experience acceptance and the love of Jesus for the very first time.



I came back to the ship on April 23rd for my 4th (!!!) trip with Mercy Ships to help out because they were going to be short-staffed for the last month or so here in Togo. God has provided the needed staff, and everything is going wonderfully. 

The day after I got back, my boss Kirstie called me in for a meeting and asked me to consider taking the Orthopedic Team Leader job for the next outreach in Guinea. I had already told her 'no' a few days before, but Love wouldn't let me go, and after much prayer and re-considering, I took the job. It will be a challenge and a stretching experience for me, but I am absolutely thrilled to be a part of the ortho team.

So, I will be back in the states for about 10 days this summer, then in Guinea until Christmas for sure, maybe longer, depending on how ortho surgeries go. Please pray for wisdom, creativity, and organization as I prepare for Guinea. 

"Faithful is He who has called you, and He will do it" 1 Thessalonians 5:24

No comments:

Post a Comment