It was Sept 2nd, the day before the big screening day in Guinea, and a big group of us had gone over to the screening site to set up. As we were setting up, I happened to notice a little boy begging in a wheelchair. During my time in Africa I've seen a lot of deformed legs, but this boy had some of the worst I'd ever seen.
The thought went through my head since he was already at the screening site the day before, that he would surely be there the next day to be seen by the doctors. The whole next day I kept expecting to see him as we worked through the long line of ortho patients, but he never showed up. The Rehab Team Leader, Nick, who was working with me told me later that he had noticed this kid before and was watching for him all day as well. At the end of the day, even though I was beyond exhausted and on brain overload, my thoughts kept going back to this little boy.
Long story short, someone 'found' him at one of the other screenings for dental patients, and brought him to the ship. It's hard to describe the feeling when I saw him on the ship and realized that someone had found the boy we'd been praying for and trying to locate. At first the story was that he was an orphan that lived under a bridge and begged for food, but then his grandmother and an uncle were found and they take turns staying with him on the ship.
On the first of October, he had his operation! Dr. Frank was able to accomplish everything that needed to be done in one surgery, albeit a very long operation. It's now almost 3 weeks after that, and he has been doing better than we ever could have hoped for. Over this time, his personality has blossomed, his English vocabulary has been greatly expanded, and he has become incredibly dear to so many of us.
One of the other patient's fathers who had previously been on the ward with this boy, but had since been discharged asked how he was doing. He asked how the 'devil' child was. He believed that this boy was a devil because he was so deformed. He didn't believe it when he was told that this boys legs were now straight... praying that this man will see Jesus through the life of this little boy as well.
with Dr. Frank before his operation
I think some of the best smiles come from the children who have lived through the most difficulty
with Andrea, one of the incredible B-ward nurses after his surgery
learning to walk with Sherry, Physiotherapist
Psalm 118:23 "This is the Lord's doing; and it is marvelous in our eyes"





Miraculous story! I miss you!
ReplyDelete