One of the absolute delights (and occasional challenges) of ship-life is interacting with hundreds of people from other countries. No matter the language or the cultural background, each one of these people are here to serve the Lord and to help the people of Sierra Leone, and that alone unites us as one team.
I have met some amazing people here... people who have challenged me spiritually to seek the Lord, who have helped me grow professionally as a nurse, and people who will be life-long friends. I am grateful for each one of them, and truly grateful to be here serving with each one of them.
All the medical staff (nursing and OR)
The nursing staff...
It's an amazing, talented group of nurses to work with. They're creative, flexible, understanding, and an absolute delight to work with. We have plenty of laughs, a few tears, and lots of memories made. One of my favorite memories from this week was Friday night while I was working in the ward. I was assigned to care for the entire 'C' ward ward which is patients who are a few days post-op and stable, just waiting a few more days before going home. The kids were so friendly and loved to play. When I wasn't doing my nurse-duties, I was sprawled out on the floor with the kiddos coloring pictures, blowing up balloons, handing out stickers, and other random things.There were a few times I'd have to leave the ward and go down the hall to do something, and when I came back, the kids would come running and wrap their arms around my legs. It absolutely made my day! On every ward there are translators that work alongside the nurses to help with the language barrier. I am so grateful for them and all the hard work they do because even though my Krio is slightly improving, but it is still definitely lacking. The translator who was working with me in the ward started playing worship songs on a guitar and singing. Soon, the mamas and caregivers of the patients and kids in the ward were singing along and dancing around the ward. One of the little girls, was falling over in a heap of giggles at my attempts to dance and sing at the same time. It was an amazing memory that will stick in my head for years.
One major thing to be in prayer about is the water situation here on the ship. There has been a severe water supply shortage for a while. The ship is able to filter and process water efficiently, the problem is with the supply of local water to the ship, and the condition of that water when it arrives. It takes about 3 days to filter and purify the water the ship recieves before it is fit to use because it is so dirty and contaminated with bacteria. Over the last week the water we've been allowed to use has been limited to the point now where we cannot do laundry, the galley cannot wash dishes, and we aren't allowed to take showers. Necessity is the mother of invention... and it's amazing how little water you can actually survive on. I've learned to take a bath in a bucket, to wash my clothes in a bucket, and it's actually quite fun (for now). Please pray that a solution is found to this problem so that we can stay in the country and not have to leave, that surgeries can continue, and that we can continue to care for patients here on the ship.
Home sweet home =)

I'll be praying for all of you!!!
ReplyDelete