The theme going through my head several times this week has been 'slow down!' I tend to get so busy with a task, develop tunnel vision, and become focused on what I need to get done. Yeah, it's important to do a job thoroughly and excellence, but as with anything, there's a balance.
It's interesting to see how it works out that when I slow down, I've seemed to get more done, have had happiness bubbling all over the place, and God has given me so many meaningful interactions with people that I never could have planned. On that note, I'm so sick of the "hi! how are you? I'm fine" conversations. I can put my work down for a few minutes to pick up the child that's hanging on my leg (ok, yeah that one's quite easy to do :) I can focus on a co-worker and ask how they're really doing, how their time has been on the ship so far, and offer if there's anything I can do for them. I can take the time to stop and ask a patient if he or she has any questions about what's going on, or if there's anything else I can do for them. I can plop down on a chair in the hallway and chat with a friend. I can take the extra time to make a card of encouragement for someone who has been a huge blessing to me.
I will only live this day once, and how am I living it? According to my expectations and plans, or with an open mind and heart willing to be directed any way He sees fit. It's not about my plans for the day, His are better than I could imagine or hope for.
No comments:
Post a Comment