Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Psalm 21:2


"You have granted him his heart's desire
and have not withheld the request of his lips."



This verse is so true as I look back over the past few years of my life. Mercy Ships has been my dream, and God has orchestrated it into something more wonderful than I ever thought it could be. These past several weeks have been filed with amazing, fulfilling times, but also challenges, frustrations. It's so easy to lose sight of the blessings and provisions at times, and instead be consumed by the difficulties. I often feel disappointed in myself that it takes a relatively small bump in the road to get me discouraged, distracted, ready to quit, and wanting to seek the 'easy' life. My prayer is that God would make me immoveable in Him, someone who cannot be swayed, and does not lose sight no matter how big the wind and the waves around me may be. 

Since I haven't written in over a month, I'll share some stories of the past few weeks to get you up to speed. (One reason typing this blog has been delayed is because my hand got in a fight with a Land Rover door and a metal wall within the span of a couple days and lost both times :)

So many of the joys over the past month have involved my precious patients. One spunky, teenage patient was trying to teach me French one afternoon when we were sitting outside on deck getting some fresh air. We covered the basics like big boat, small boat, ocean, sun, sky. Then she taught me 'sit down, stand up, and jump'. The results were hilarious! She proceeded to test my knowledge by speaking the word, then insisting I act out what she said. Not only while we were up on deck, but the whole way back downstairs I was alternately sitting on the steps, walking, standing or jumping my way back to the wards. 

A few weeks ago we had our weekly Thursday evening community meeting out on the dock. All of our Congolese day crew were invited to attend along with the ~400 that live on the ship, and as many patients as were physically able to come down to the dock. It was amazing to share a meal and worship God together. At one point we broke up into smaller groups to pray for the country of Congo. On my right I was holding the hand of a day crew who was serving his people by driving one of the Land Rovers back and forth to the ship to bring patients through the port and safely onboard. On my left, I was holding the hand of a Congolese grandmother who had taken in her 2 year old granddaughter when she was abandoned by her parents. This little girl had been burned and was receiving skin grafting to repair the damage to her hand. We took turns praying with the dozen or so people in our group, in French and in English for this land, for God's word to be proclaimed, and for God to bless our work here. There's something about living here in such a mix of cultures, languages, and people groups that makes me so look forward to heaven. This is such an amazing example of every tribe, tongue, and nation worshipping the One who is worthy, but it is so small in comparison to the wonder and perfection that is Heaven. 

The first round of plastic surgeries are wrapping up onboard this week... then orthopedics starts!!!! Last night Dr. Frank, the ortho surgeon I worked with in Sierra Leone and Guinea, returned to the ship with his wife Kathleen for the next 10 weeks. Some of the kids have already arrived, including 20+ that have traveled for days from the northern part of the country. If you look at a map of Congo, notice how long this country is. For example, it is about 560 km (about 350 miles) from here to the capital, but it takes about 2 days to drive or 20+ hours by train, and there are far less roads as you head north into the country. I look forward to getting to know these kids and their parents, and hearing their stories about their trip to Pointe Noire. 

My goal in the next 7 weeks of ortho is to blog more frequently (duh)! Maybe I'll do a photo or story of the day. Something simple but more consistent is my plan. Being the ortho team leader is my dream job on the ship and I'm so excited what these next weeks will hold. I know the hard work and long hours that are required, but it's worth it every time I look into a kid's eyes, see their smile, and see how God has used us to be His hands of love and His provision in their lives. 


1 comment:

  1. That picture is priceless :) Love you! So great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete