Mercy Ships screening day consists of thousands of people traveling to a central location (in Freetown, it is the Football Stadium downtown) and stand in line for hours until they can see a doctor and see if they can be helped on the ship. People often travel for days and some are even carried there by friends and family. The majority of screenings have to be done, and surgery schedules arranged before the patients begin to arrive at the ship.
The following is a press release from the president of Mercy Ships about today... (I can't say any more than what they have released)
Mercy Ships is deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred today during medical screening at the Freetown National Stadium when a crowd stormed the gate resulting in several injuries and one life lost.
Due to the dangerous situation, we had to evacuate the area after only a few hours of screening which was frustrating and difficult because then we weren't able to offer any more help to the desperate people still waiting. All of the staff were able to get out without injury. They're investigating the situation and deciding what can be done to provide more order and structure, then screenings will be rescheduled. Please pray for the ship Captain and leaders as they make some big decisions in the next day or two.
My job today was to serve bread water to the people standing by the gate and waiting in lines. It was an impossible task to give water to thousands of people with only a few small coolers and about a dozen other people helping. As soon as our coolers were empty more people would come up crying and begging for water. The only water available was on the other side of the stadium so it took a bit of time to get back with more water. We were even praying for rain (even though it's the dry season here and it's been weeks since rain) or cloud cover and a cooler breeze for the people waiting in line. About the time we were evacuating, it did cloud over and start to sprinkle. I could only pray that they would find the Living Water, Jesus.
I felt very small today. I've never experienced anything like this in my life... such desperation and despair, and it breaks my heart to not be able to do more about it. I trust God completely and I know that what happened today didn't come as a surprise. We had a debriefing meeting tonight. The spirit on ship is positive and we are more determined than ever to keep pressing on and fulfilling what we came here to do. So, on that happy note... I wish you all a good night (or good afternoon to y'all in the States =)
Mel,
ReplyDeleteI will pray for you and Mercy Ship team...
...what amazing adventures are up ahead!
Be expectant....:)
Love,
alex ehrhardt
Dearest Melinda,
ReplyDeleteIt is really quite emotional for me to have one of "my" girls following the call of Jesus into such a ministry. But I know you are Entirely HIS and are kept under the shadow of His wings. I know too that He is with you wherever you go. May the Lord be magnified through you each day. I miss you and dearly love you.
Embracing you in heart and prayer,
Mama Sandi
Mmm yes, that feeling of smallness. I've been there so often. It's a beautiful place God has you in, Mel. I'm praying for you. Love you!
ReplyDeleteErvina
Hi!
ReplyDeleteWe are so excited for you Melinda, Sounds like God is taking you on quite an adventure my dear! Praying for the safety of all of your team and that God will move in mighty ways as only He can. Praying for you often as God brings you to mind. I know you will be deeply touched as you serve our great Lord.
Hey, I forgot to sign my name on that last post :) Did you figure out speechteach was from your good old Aunt Sue??? :) Blessings !
ReplyDelete